Request for detailed information about revenues and expenditures
Recent spending abuses and unwarranted secrecy in the tourism and economic development arena in Florida raise fegitimate concerns among both taxpayers and elected officials. Recent news media reports have only heightened that concern and reinforced my belief that it is time we take a close look at where development money is being spent, how it is being spent, and whether these expenditures are returning value to the taxpayers.
Consequently, the Florida House of Representatives is examining tax-supported economic development initiatives in Florida. We are requesting detailed information about the revenues and expenditures of your organization. You can help us better understand publicly funded economic development by providing the following information in an electronic format that allows for the sorting and filtering of the data:
Revenues for FY 2015-16 - Please provide the amount of funds:
- Received through a tax collection or distribution
- Received from other government sources and identify each source
- Received from the private sector
- Received from fees or charges for goods and services
- Received by each board member by name and include whether the payment is a requirement of board membership
Additionally, please provide the amount and source of all other revenues.
Details of Expenditure for FY 2015-16 Please provide the amount expended on:
- Economic development projects including the funding provided to each private and public sector recipient of funds
- Each event including the number of participants per event and the specifics of the expenditure, for example, food and beverage, facility rental, sporting event tickets, or other entertainment
- Travel expenditures including the names of travelers, location and event attended and total travel reimbursement for each trip
- Lobbyists representing the organization by name including the amount expended per individual lobbyist
- All employees by name, position, title, and individual compensation including salary, bonuses, and any stipends or allowances
- Reimbursements to each individual board member by name and the nature of the reimbursement
Please provide the amount and general nature of all other expenditures.
We look forward to receiving this information by February 1, 2017. If you choose not to provide this information, please be advised that pursuant to s. 11.143, F.S., you may be compelled by subpoena duces tecum to produce such information. If you have questions please contact Kurt Hamon, Staff Director - Commerce Committee, at Kurt.Hamon@myfloridahouse.gov or (850) 717-4870.
We appreciate your attention and cooperation with this request. Your input is important.